For Cabernet Sauvignon fans, the latest results from the annual Global Wine Masters Competition give us a stunning array of quality choices from around the world, including great values under $30.
The categories and approximate range of scores: Bronze, 85-88; Silver, 89-92; Gold, 93-96; and Master, 97-100. At the top: 26 Gold medals and 11 Masters awarded. Most winners were from Australia, U.S., Chile, and Argentina, with the Barossa Valley, Australia, leading the way in values.
“Of all the globally planted varieties of the world, Cabernet Sauvignon is the most reliable source of fine wine,” the judges noted. “Classed as the King of Grapes, it’s a variety that is able to yield outstanding results in a broad range of places.”
“Each competition showcases a key variety or style and is open to wines from anywhere in the world to be judged purely on style and price. Unlike many competitions which judge en masse during one event, we split the Global Wine Masters into individual competitions throughout the year.”
“This means that wines are always judged against their direct competitors, and keeps our judges’ palates fresh for the competitions. All of our competitions are tasted blind, with only a price bracket and the category revealed to the judges. The judging panels are comprised solely of Masters of Wine, Master Sommeliers and senior buyers.”
Price categories are in Pounds (£10 equals about $12.50 U.S.). Biggest surprise, a Master for the Barel 2020 blend from Turkey, in £10-£15. Familiar names from around the world include Santa Rita, Vina Carmen, Langmeil, Tanunda, and Concho y Toro. Here are medal winners from the U.S.
- Three Thieves, 2020, California, Silver
- Ménage à Trois, 2020, Decadence, Bronze
- Kenwood Vineyards, 2019, Six Ridges, Alexander Valley. Master
- Napa Cellars, 2019, Napa. Gold
- Kenwood Vineyards, 2019, Jack London Vineyard, Dry Farmed. Master
- Chateau Ste. Michelle, 2019, Cold Creek Vineyard, Washington. Gold.
- Kenwood Vineyards, 2019, Discoveries, California. Silver.
- Robert Mondavi Private Selection, 2021, California, Bourbon Barrel-Aged Cabernet Sauvignon. Silver.
- Ménage à Trois, 2020, California, Bourbon Barrel Cabernet Sauvignon. Silver.
- SeaGlass Wine Company, 2021, Central Coast. Silver.
- DAOU Estate, 2021, Paso Robles. Silver.
- Prisoner, 2021, Unshackled Cabernet Sauvignon. Silver.
- Kenwood Vineyards, 2018, Jack London Vineyard, Sonoma Mountain. Bronze.
- Carmel Road Winery, 2020, California. Bronze.
- Trefethen Family Vineyards, 2020, Napa Valley. Gold.
- Jordan Winery, 2019, Alexander Valley. Si0lver.
- DAOU Estate, 2020, Paso Robles, Reserve. Silver.
- Freemark Abbey, 2019, Napa Valley. Gold.
- Brave, 2019, Mt. Veeder. Master.