The big box stores, wine merchants and even grocery shelves (in some states) have values galore because of new vintages entering the distribution channels, creating a need to move older vintages. As the weather warms, we’ve been tasting a wide range of white wines over the past two months and found some fine values, and a couple of classics.
The following are from recent Tweets. Prices will vary by region and the whims of your favorite merchant, so consider these prices approximate, and listed in order from low to high:
- Easy-drinking party Chardonnay ’14 Coppola Directors Cut $11. Toasty, tropical nose; fat, soft, quaffing wine. 13.5 alc. Off dry?
- Picnic/party $11 Napa Chardonnay ’13 Robert Mondavi. Light peachy, floral nose; soft, round, decent fruit; hot finish (14.2).
- Good $12 Chardonnay ’12 Carneros Creek Reserve. Toasty, vanilla, older varietal nose; mid-body to soft; round, smooth finish. w/fish
- Santa Rita Hills Chardonnay ’12 Lincourt $13.Varietal light oak, weedy nose; mid-body; decent acids; long fat fruity finish. w/scallops
- Value Monterey Chardonnay ’14 Talbott Kali Hart $14. Light toasty tropical nose; mid-body to fat, soft acids, buttery. w/cheeses.
- $14 Chalk Hill Chardonnay w/some style ’14 Rodney Strong. Light vanilla, stone fruit nose; mid-body, round, semi-lush Chard finish. w/fish
- Fine $15 Chardonnay, Foley Johnson ’12 Santa Rita Hills. Mid-dark gold; light vanilla, peach, mineral nose; mid-body; balanced; good acids; long crisp fruity finish. w/scallops
- Uncomplex Russian River Ranches Chardonnay ’14 Sonoma-Cutrer $20. Oak, light stone fruit nose; mid-body; decent varietal flavor; a little short.
- Fish-friendly Sonoma Chardonnay ’13 Chalk Hill Estate $24. Vanilla, stone fruit, honey nose; round; ripe (14.5 alc.); long viscous finish.
- Carneros Chardonnay find ’12 32 Winds Hudson Ranch $35. light vanilla, stone fruit nose; mid-body; good fruit extract; long lush finish.
- Classic Napa Valley style Chardonnay ’11 Stony Hill $45. Honey, light oak, older nose; soft; round, ripe, refined subtle style. w/swordfish.
- Rich Sonoma Chardonnay ’12 Hanzell $65. Stone fruit nose; hints of vanilla, honey; mid-big body; good acids, tight then lush finish. w/halibut
- Value Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc ’15 Kim Crawford $10. citrus, grapefruit nose; mid-body; crisp; good acids; semi-smooth finish.
- Value Sonoma Sauvignon Blanc ’14 Kenwood Reserve $10. Light SB, citrus nose; new mown hay; mid-body; balanced, semi-crisp. party/picnic
- Fine $11 Sonoma Fume Blanc ’14 Dry Creek. Light new mown hay, clove, mineral nose; mid-body; good acids; long crisp finish. w/shrimp
- Subtle Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc ’14 Nobilo Icon $13. Light citrus, new mown hay nose; mid-body (12% alc); crisp citric finish. w/clams
- Easy sipping Spring wine Pine Ridge ’14 Chenin Blanc (80%) Viognier (20%) $11. Green apple, citrus nose; mid-body; semi-crisp fruity finish.