Heading into the July 4 weekend, we reviewed recent notes on wines suitable for a little summer sipping and toasting our Declaration of Independence before hitting the reds to match the best from the grill. The following were tasted (and Tweeted about) during the past two months.
Albarino, Pinot Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc, Rose
- Good $16 ESP summer sparkler ’14 Naveran Brut Cava $16. Light yeast, citrus, mineral nose; tiny bubbles; semi-crisp fruity finish. w/cheese
- Good $12 summer sipping wine ’14 Martin Codax Albarino. Honeysuckle, citrus, peach nose; mid-body; long crisp finish. w/fruit, cheeses.
- Weekend appetizer wine Pfalz Pinot Blanc ’14 Villa Wolf $14. Peachy, floral nose; peachy flavor, light spritz on the palate; good acids.
- Picnic/patio summer sipping wine ’14 King Estate Oregon Pinot Gris $14. Floral, citrus nose; long semi-crisp fruity finish. w/cheeses
- Fine $13 OR Pinot Gris ’13 Ponzi Willamette. Pale straw, green-gold; honeysuckle, pear nose; mid-body; good acids; fruity finish; w/apps
- Lazy Creek ’15 Rose of Pinot Noir $20. Strawberry flowery nose; mid-body; good structure; long crisp fruity finish. w/salmon in dill sauce.
- Tasty $12 S.Afr. Sauvignon Blanc ’14 Downes Family Sanctuary Peak. Subtle SB nose, new mown hay; mid-body; good fruit; semi-crisp finish.
- Summer sipping Rhone blend ’14 Epoch white $38. Apricot, flowery nose; round, ripe, good fruit, flavor; picnic, party wine. w/appetizers.
- Fine $12 RussRivVal Chardonnay for weekend sipping ’13 Frei Bros. Reserve. Buttery, tropical nose; mid-body; soft, round fruity finish.
- Fine $15 Santa Rita Hills Chardonnay ’12 Foley Johnson. Light oak, peach, mineral nose; balanced; good acids; long crisp fruity finish.
- Smooth $15 Napa Chardonnay ’13 Streamside. Chard nose, minerals, light oak; mid-body, soft acids; some style; fruity finish. w/chicken.
- Big style Carneros Chardonnay ’12 Trinitas $22. Oaky vanilla nose (barrel fermented); fat, round, ripe; soft acids; dash of residual sugar?
- Buttery $23 Napa Chardonnay ’13 “II” (Alpha Omega). Light oak, varietal nose, citrus and peach; round, ripe, long fat finish. w/fish.
- Oaky $24 Napa Chardonnay ’13 Beringer Private Reserve. Oaky, ripe grape, buttery nose (14.7 alc); good varietal extract; long fat finish. w/cheese.